Social Work Pathways

Social workers promote change at individual, community and policy levels and assist people to create positive outcomes.
Mortar board
5 Stars
Top 10

How to Apply

Contact Us


M358 35 Stirling Highway Crawley

Perth Western Australia 6009


(+618) 6488 2807

Frequently asked questions

Pathway details

This challenging and rewarding profession attracts dedicated and inspiring professionals who desire to make a difference to the lives of others. They help members of society manage personal and social challenges either directly or through programs that benefit groups or communities. You can pursue a Master of Social Work at UWA after completing a bachelor's degree and submitting a personal statement and CV.

5 years to be a

Social worker

Social Worker To become a social worker you need to study a three-year bachelor's degree followed by a two-year master's degree SOCIAL WORKER =2 MASTER’S 3+ BACHELOR’S

5 years to be a
Social Work

Pathways for mature-age students

If you'll be aged 20 years or older on 1 March (for Semester 1 entry) or 1 August (for Semester 2 entry) you qualify for our mature-age entry pathways. These enable entry into one of UWA's undergraduate degrees whereby, upon completion, you could apply for graduate entry into social work.

Social Work
Social Work

Direct Pathways for high school leavers

Minimum ATAR
TISC Codes
  • UWSWA (Arts)
    UWSWB (Biomedical Science)
  • UWSWC (Commerce)
  • UWSWS (Science)
  • UWSWP (Philosophy [Honours] Direct Pathway)
  • BA + MSW
    BBiomedSc + MSW
  • BCom + MSW
  • BSc + MSW
  • BPhil (Hons) + MSW 
Limited places
  • No
Selection criteria
  • ATAR
Undergraduate major
  • None
Conditions for progress to Postgraduate Study
  • Completion of a UWA bachelor’s degree

[1] This pathway is also available through the Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours). Students taking this pathway require an ATAR of 98.00.

[2] Bachelor of Philosophy students will take an additional year to complete this pathway.

Social Work
Social Work

Graduate entry

You can study Social Work by completing a bachelor's degree after high school.
Social Work

More about this course

At UWA you can be a social worker in two years after completing your bachelor's degree. In addition to coursework units you’ll undertake high-quality placements in the field. This offers you the opportunity to integrate knowledge and skills and develop a sense of identity as a practitioner.

Unique course

Be part of one of the top 10 fastest growing areas of employment. The Master of Social Work at UWA is the only one of its kind in the State and is recognised internationally with many graduates obtaining employment overseas.