Postgraduate coursework degrees allow you study advanced subjects in a similar manner to how you studied for your undergraduate degree.
Postgraduate coursework degrees available
Dedicated postgraduate study facilities
Graduate certificates are designed mainly for specific vocational purposes as they aim to broaden skills and knowledge already gained in an undergraduate program or provide vocational skills and knowledge in a new professional area.
Graduate certificate courses may be a part of a continuum of studies in a specific subject area (an articulated course) offering you progression from a graduate certificate to a graduate diploma or from a graduate diploma to a master's degree.
A graduate diploma can take up to one year full-time or four years part-time to complete and is generally designed for a specific vocational purpose. Graduate diplomas offer a more in-depth understanding of a subject area than a graduate certificate and are designed to broaden skills and knowledge already gained in an undergraduate program or to provide vocational skills and knowledge in a new professional area.
Graduate diploma courses may be a part of a continuum of studies in a specific subject area (an articulated course), offering a student progression from a graduate diploma to a master's degree by coursework.
Master’s by coursework
A UWA master's degree recognises your thorough understanding of a research field or area of professional practice. Graduates possess a range of academic and vocational attributes, such as:
- advanced knowledge of a specialist body of topics or high-order skills in analysis, critical evaluation and/or professional application through the planning and execution of project work or a piece of scholarship or research
- creativity and flexibility in the application of knowledge and skills to new situations
- ability to solve complex problems and think rigorously and independently
Master's degrees by coursework, administered by UWA's faculties, can be either:
- coursework – coursework is 100 per cent of the degree requirements
- coursework and dissertation – the dissertation component represents less than 66.6 per cent of the degree requirements
Postgraduate professional degrees
A postgraduate professional degree is a master’s or doctorate-level course taken after a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) that upon successful completion qualifies you to enter a profession. UWA’s professional postgraduate courses have replaced degrees that were previously offered at an undergraduate level.