Completing exchange at UWA

As an international student, there’s a few things you need to know about studying at UWA on exchange. Learn more about entry requirements, getting started, fees and our units.

We're proud to rank first in Western Australia and place in the Top 100 of universities globally.


5 stars for Student:Teacher Ratio, Student Retention and Student Demand (QS 2018)


Nine of our subjects are ranked in the world's top 50 (ARWU 2018)


Ranked 91st in the Top 100 universities of the world (QS 2018)

Entry requirements

Ensure you are eligible to study at UWA before planning your journey.

Academic requirements

Tertiary-level (university) students

To study at UWA as a Study Abroad or exchange student you should normally:

  • have completed one semester of tertiary study at a recognised institution
  • have a nomination from your home university to participate in the UWA Study Abroad program or complete and submit the Home University Authorisation form
  • be in good academic standing at your home university

High school students

To study at UWA as a Study Abroad or exchange student you should normally:

  • have completed a high school qualification in accordance with the admission requirements for entry to the relevant bachelor's degree programs at UWA (for example, BA and BSc)

English language requirements

IELTS (Academic)

An overall score minimum of 6.5, and no band less than 6.0 (must include Academic Reading and Writing modules).

Note: Results are valid for two years only.

TOEFL (next generation Internet-based test iBT)

An overall score minimum of 82 with a minimum score of: 22 in the Writing section; 18 in the Reading section, 20 in the Speaking section; and 20 in the Listening section.

Note: Results are valid for two years only.

International English language tests

View the complete list of tests by which UWA's English language competency requirement may be satisfied for admission to undergraduate and postgraduate coursework degrees.

What if I don't meet the standard English requirements?

Candidates who do not meet the standard ELC requirements as set out in this section may be approved admission to UWA on the basis of the Alternative English Language Competency requirements. Candidates gaining admission via this pathway are assessed on a case-by-case basis and if approved they must enrol in the following unit in their first semester of enrolment:

  • Professional and Academic Communication PACM1100

Minimum scores for this conditional offer are:

  • IELTS 6.0 (no band score below 5.5)
  • Internet-based TOEFL 70 (17 in Listening, 19 in Speaking, 14 in Reading and 20 in Writing)

UWA Centre for English Language Teaching (CELT) English Language Pathways:

  • EAP Pathway 65 per cent (no band less than 60 per cent)
  • Bridging Course Module 1 65 per cent / Module 2 60 per cent (no band less than 60 per cent)

Further information is available in the UWA Handbook. Enrolling in the unit PACM1100 will take the place of another coursework unit.

Check with the UWA Global Learning Office for more information. Other non-academic English courses are available at the Centre for English Language Teaching.

Applying options as a Study Abroad student

Study Abroad students are required to pay tuition fees either through their home institution or directly to UWA. Further information on fees is found below.

Apply directly to UWA online. You must also complete the Home University Authorisation Form.
Team tours

Apply through a UWA representative overseas. UWA has representatives in more than 60 countries. Once you are nominated to UWA you will receive an email to complete the online application.
University tours

Applying through your home university. Your home university may nominate you to UWA and you will receive an email to complete the online application.

Application documents

All supporting documentation must be uploaded to your online application. This includes:

  • your most recent official Academic Transcript signed and stamped by your home university (postgraduate students must also include a copy of their bachelor's degree transcript)
  • evidence of English language competency (signed and stamped by home university), if applicable
  • a colour copy of the details page of your passport

Where documents are not in English, a certified English translation must be enclosed with your application.

UWA has representatives in more than 60 countries. Check whether your country has a UWA representative overseas.



Study Abroad (not Student Exchange) students, or their sponsors, must pay tuition fees to UWA.

Tuition fees are calculated based on your enrolment. Please indicate when accepting your offer whether you will be enrolling in three or four units. A standard full-time enrolment load at UWA is 24 points per semester. 

Extra points will lead to extra fees being charged on a pro rata basis.

Students studying across two academic years (for example, Semester 2, 2019 and Semester 1, 2020) may be charged different fees for each semester.

The fees below relate to 2019 enrolments.

Tuition fees for 18 points:

  • AUD$10,275 per semester 
  • AUD$20,550 per year

Tuition fees for 24 points:

  • AUD$13,700 per semester
  • AUD$27,400 per year

UWA courses for international exchange and Study Abroad students

Before selecting units we recommend you:

The Study Abroad and Student Exchange programs allow you to choose units from any faculty except in the areas of medicine and dentistry.

Subjects of study at UWA are referred to as units. You'll require each relevant faculty's (there may be more than one) approval for each unit you wish to take. The faculties will ensure you meet the prerequisites for each unit prior to your enrolment.

Study Abroad and Exchange Course Guide

Find out all the information you need to know about study abroad and exchange through the UWA Global Learning Office.

Study Abroad and Exchange Course Guide