How to Apply
Learn to diagnose and treat diseases, injuries and abnormalities of teeth and gums with preventive procedures, surgery and other techniques. If you receive a Direct Pathway offer for Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) you will be offered either a Bachelor of Philosophy (if you have applied for that) or Bachelor of Biomedical Science with a major in Medical Sciences. If you choose this pathway, you will receive up to 48 points of credit towards your postgraduate component and complete the DMD in three years. If you would like instead to complete a Bachelor of Arts, Commerce or Science, or choose not to complete a Medical Sciences major, the DMD will be completed in four years. You’ll also need to meet any other course prerequisites, and your undergraduate degree with a Grade Point Average of at least 5.5. If you are not completing a Direct Pathway, your postgraduate study will be four years.
You can study Dental Medicine by completing a bachelor's degree after high school. Other requirements include:
- Minimum GPA of 5.5
- Suitable GAMSAT score
- English Language Competency
- Satisfactory completion of the Spatial Awareness Test
- Eyesight requirements
For further information on graduate entry to the DMD, visit the Faculty website.
Pathways for mature-age students
Direct Pathways for high school leavers
- 99.00 (High Achievement)
- 96.00 (Broadway, International, Rural)1
- UWDMB (Biomedical Science Direct Pathway)
- UWDMP (Philosophy [Honours] Direct Pathway)
- BBiomedSc + DMD
- BPhil (Hons) + DMD
- Opportunities are available for students from High Achievement, Broadway, Rural and Indigenous entry paths to apply for a Direct Pathway place to the Doctor of Dental Medicine (places are limited)
- Aptitude test (UMAT)
- Academic performance (ATAR or equivalent)
- Spatial awareness test
- Medical Sciences (six-year course) or any other major (seven-year course)
- Completion of a UWA bachelor’s degree with a minimum Faculty GPA of 5.5 in three years (four years for students undertaking an honours year)
 This pathway is also available through the Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours). Students taking this pathway require a minimum ATAR of 98.00.
 Bachelor of Philosophy students will take an additional year to complete this pathway.