South African National Certificate
The National Senior Certificate (NSC) is the school-leaving certificate in South Africa.
The University of Western Australia welcomes applications from students who have completed the NSC program. To be admitted to the University, you must:
- satisfy the University's English language competence requirement by satisfactory performance in one of the English subjects detailed in the table below
- achieve a sufficient number of points to be offered a place
- satisfy any prerequisite subject requirements for your chosen course and major
Minimum entry scores
NSC students must meet equivalent entry standards to other applicants. The following table provides an overview of the points considered equivalent to various Australian Tertiary Admission Ranks.
|NSC Grade average of best six subjects in final year||ATAR equivalent|
- NSC must be certified by Umalusi or obtained with matriculation endorsement.
- Must include at least four subjects passed at minimum Level 4 (50 – 59%).
- Excludes the subject Life Orientation.
- SCORING: 7 = 80-100%, 6 = 70-79%, 5 = 60-69%, 4 = 50-59%, 3 = 40-49%, 2 = 30-39%, 1 = 0-29%.
- For results obtained before 2008 contact admissions.
The following table shows NSC subject equivalents to WA Certificate of Education courses, which will satisfy course and major prerequisites.
|WA Course||NSC Equivalent|
|English/Literature||English Home Language - Level 5 (60%) or higher|
|Mathematics 2C/2D||Mathematics - Level 3 (40%) or higher|
|Mathematics 3A/3B||Mathematics - Level 3 (40%) or higher|
|Mathematics 3C/3D||Mathematics - Level 4 (50%) or higher|
|Mathematics: Specialist 3C/3D||No equivalent|
|Chemistry 3A/3B||Physical Science - Level 4 (50%) or higher|
|Physics 3A/3B||Physical Science - Level 4 (50%) or higher|