Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education
The Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) will be the only public exam in Hong Kong for senior secondary education. By 2012, HKDSE will replace HKALE.
The University of Western Australia welcomes applications from students who have completed the HKDSE program. To be admitted to the University, you must:
- satisfy the University's English language competence requirement by satisfactory performance in one of the English subjects detailed in the table below
- achieve a sufficient number of points to be offered a place
- satisfy any prerequisite subject requirements for your chosen course and major
Minimum entry scores
HKDSE students must meet equivalent entry standards to other applicants. The following table provides an overview of the points considered equivalent to various Australian Tertiary Admission Ranks.
|HKDSE Points||ATAR equivalent|
|HKDSE PointsWA COURSE (WACE) 2014-15||15||ATAR equivalentWA COURSE (WACE) 2016 onwards||80|
|22||HKDSE PointsWA COURSE (WACE) 2014-15||98|
|ATAR equivalentWA COURSE (WACE) 2016 onwards||23||HKDSE Equivalent||99|
- The Diploma must include 4 core and at least 2 elective subjects.
- Elective subjects must be either Category A or Category C subjects.
- Ranks on the HKDSE are calculated on the basis that:
- 5**=6, 5*=5.5, 5=5, 4=4, 3=3, 2=0, 1=0 for Category A subjects, or
- A*=6, A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, E=1 for Category C subjects.
- Aggregate is calculated using the best 4 Category A or Category C subjects
- At least three scores must be achieved at Level 4 or higher (L4 = A-Level ‘D’).
- The Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority is the awarding body for the Diploma.
The following table shows HKDSE subject equivalents to WA Certificate of Education courses, which will satisfy course and major prerequisites.
|WA COURSE (WACE)
|WA COURSE (WACE)
|English/Literature||English ATAR/Literature ATAR||HKDSE PointsWA COURSE (WACE) 2014-15||Core English Language - minimum Level 4; or Literature in English elective - minimum Level 3.|
|ATAR equivalentWA COURSE (WACE) 2016 onwards||Mathematics 2C/2D||HKDSE Equivalent||Mathematics Applications ATAR||Core Mathematics - minimum Level 3|
|Mathematics 3A/3B||HKDSE PointsWA COURSE (WACE) 2014-15||Not Applicable||ATAR equivalentWA COURSE (WACE) 2016 onwards||Core Mathematics - minimum Level 3|
|HKDSE Equivalent||Mathematics 3C/3D||Mathematics Methods ATAR||Extended Mathematics Module 1 (Calculus and Statistics) - minimum Level 3|
|HKDSE PointsWA COURSE (WACE) 2014-15||Mathematics: Specialist 3C/3D||ATAR equivalentWA COURSE (WACE) 2016 onwards||Mathematics Specialist ATAR||HKDSE Equivalent||Extended Mathematics Module 2 (Algebra and Calculus) - minimum Level 3|
|Chemistry 3A/3B||Chemistry ATAR||HKDSE PointsWA COURSE (WACE) 2014-15||Chemistry elective  - minimum Level 3|
|ATAR equivalentWA COURSE (WACE) 2016 onwards||Physics 3A/3B||HKDSE Equivalent||Physics ATAR||Physics elective - minimum Level 3 or Physics component within the 'Combined Science" elective - minimum Level 4|
 The Chemistry component within HKDSE Combined Science is NOT sufficient to satisfy UWA's prerequisite for Level 1 Chemistry units.