TAFE, AQF and tertiary qualifications

You may use the results from tertiary studies at TAFE or other institutions to compete for a place at UWA.

Results from a tertiary institution can be used to apply at UWA if you have:
  • completed a qualification at diploma level or above, as assessed under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), or
  • undertaken degree-level studies at a recognised tertiary institution. A minimum of one semester full-time (or equivalent) is required.

Selection is based on academic merit. You are strongly advised to provide numeric or letter grades to assist the selection process. TAFE students must ask their college to provide this information. Students from most Australian universities will have their results transferred to us automatically. Students from International and Overseas institutions will have to provide certified transcripts.

English language competence

You must demonstrate that you satisfy UWA's English language competence requirement. Previous studies may be sufficient.

Australian bachelor studies

If you have completed at least two years full-time study towards a bachelor degree in Australia this will be sufficient.

Overseas bachelor studies

Successful completion of at least two years full-time study towards a bachelor degree (or equivalent) overseas, will be accepted by UWA, providing the course was taught and examined in English and it is assessed by UWA as being equivalent to Australian degree studies. You may need to provide evidence from your home institution that your studies were taught and examined in English.

Diploma studies

A completed diploma does not satisfy UWA's English Language Competence requirement. If you have not successfully completed two years of bachelor degree studies, you will need to demonstrate English competence through a UWA-approved English test.

Course prerequisites

You must satisfy the prerequisites for your desired course. If you have recently completed Year 12 in Australia you may have satisfied the requirements by completing equivalent interstate subjects.

If you didn't graduate Year 12 recently, or need advice on whether your background studies satisfy requirements, contact the Future Students Centre.